Monday, March 31, 2014

Smashwords vs. Amazon

Well, "In a Stranger's Arms" has been up for a week now on both Smashwords and Amazon.  While it's certainly too early to tell which one will perform better in the long run, I want to take a little time to just update what my experience with both has been like so far.

On Smashwords, I have not yet received any sales.  I have had 10 downloads of my free sample and probably somewhere around 50 page views.  Both page views and downloads peaked on the first day (when my story was more visible due to its recent publication), and dropped significantly thereafter, but have continued to trickle in.

On Amazon, I can't tell how many page views I've gotten.  However, I have gotten three sales.  Two of these came through Amazon.com, and one through Amazon.uk.  Excitingly, these three sales were enough to push me up into the top 100 paid in the erotica<urban category.  When I looked last night, I was somewhere around #68.  I've since dropped back off (should have taken a picture when it was up), but I thought it was pretty darn exciting just to see something I'd written placing on a top sellers list, even if it was in a small niche and just for a moment.

As I said earlier, it's definitely too early to say whether one store is worthwhile and the other isn't, but I have definitely been having more success this past week at Amazon than at Smashwords.

I still don't have any reviews up on either site.  If anyone wants a free copy to review, feel free to drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment