Wednesday, March 26, 2014

More Thoughts About Smashwords and Amazon

Well, "In a Stranger's Arms" is now up at both Smashwords and Amazon.  Of course, as soon as I submitted, I found a typo that I'd missed before.  It seems like no matter how carefully you proof-read, something will slip by.  Well, I guess that's the nice thing about e-publishing.

For Smashwords, fixing the typo was as simple as just making the change in the source file and re-uploading it.  The whole process probably took about two minutes.  On Amazon, it was a longer process.  I made the appropriate change and then uploaded it.  However, I again got the message saying that I needed to wait 12 hours for review.  Uploading a new version didn't take my old version down, so my book is still up.  When the 12 hours (or whatever it is) is over, the new version will slip into place.

One place where Amazon has been superior to Smashwords is in ease of formatting.  On Amazon, it really went very smoothly to take my .doc and change it into an e-book.  I ran into one small hitch when I accidentally had track changes on before I uploaded and ended up with a word crossed out.  Other than that, as far as I can tell, what I saw in my .doc is what I got.

With Smashwords it's a bit of a different story.  In my post about Surviving the Meat Grinder, I talked about how the Smashwords submissions process was relatively painless.  I recant.  I thought I understood everything as I initially went through it, and almost everything worked.  However, for some reason anytime I tried to use a style other than "Normal," the Meat Grinder would default my font to something like Arial or Calibri.  I tinkered and re-uploaded my file 5 or 10 times, but was never able to solve that problem.

As it stands, my section headings and front matter appear in a different font, which I don't think looks terrible, but I do wish that I could solve this.  I was using Word 2013, and I have absolutely no idea what is causing this problem.  If anyone reading has had this problem, or knows how to solve it, I'd love to hear what you have to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment